It appears likely that Lonzo Ball may have played his last game with the Pelicans. While there has been some chatter that New Orleans could keep the point guard, Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated hears that Ball isn’t in the franchise’s long-term plans and he’s likely to be dealt.
The Pelicans are pleased with the player Ball has grown into, though his anticipated salary on his next contract (reportedly seeking $20 million annually) is playing a major role in what the organization opts to do before the deadline.
Ball has been linked to the Knicks and Bulls. The Sixers were recently mentioned as a possible fit and that could coincide with the franchise losing hope in the Kyle Lowry sweepstakes. The Clippers have a major need for a point guard and Ball is one of the candidates that they’d like to bring in (along with Ricky Rubio.
More NBA Trade Rumors
- Rumors of the Pacers listening to offers for Malcolm Brogdon have circulated, though Mannix hears (same piece) that Indiana won’t deal the guard. Indiana is shopping Aaron Holiday and the Clippers are among the interested teams.
- The Nuggets are interested in Harrison Barnes, according to Mike Singer of The Denver Post. Denver is on the lookout for a forward who can match up with the top small forwards in the conference, like LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard. Sacramento is expecting a major return for Barnes, though the specifics aren’t clear.
- Aaron Gordon is another forward who has Denver’s eye, per Sam Amick of The Athletic. There are conflicting views within the organization about how great of a long-term fit Gordon is, given his potentially lucrative next contract, and what kind of package to give the Magic for him. Whether to include R.J. Hampton in such as deal is one area of contention.
- Richaun Holmes continues to draw interest from around the league with the Mavericks among the teams that favor him, Michael Scotto of HoopsHype relays. The Hornets and Raptors have previously been linked to the center. Holmes, who will be a free agent at the end of the year, has enjoyed his time in Sacramento and it may take a major haul to pry him from the organization.
- ICYMI: The Knicks have discussed sending away Mitchell Robinson in Lonzo ball negotiations with the Pelicans.