Magic team president Jeff Weltman indicated that he anticipates receiving calls about trades for the No. 1 pick, as he told FortyEightMinutes and other media via zoom after the NBA Draft Lottery. However, it appears the club is focused on bringing in a franchise pillar via the selection.
There’s a perception around the league that Orlando will take either Auburn’s Jabari Smith or Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren with the No. 1 overall selection.
As we wrote in our pre-lottery mock draft, both prospects make more sense for Orlando than Paolo Banchero given the team’s current roster construction.
“We’re just really excited to be able to fall in love with somebody and pick that player,” Weltman continued.
Latest NBA Buzz
- Jalen Williams‘ stock could be rising with Rafael Barlowe of NBABigBoard.com indicating that the Santa Clara product could be in contention to be selected in the lottery. One scout compared the guard to Jordan Poole after seeing Williams’ pre-draft workouts. “Breathtaking athlete. Super confident. Jordan Poole in every way,” said the team scout “Great shooter with blazing speed and an electric right leg. Impossible to stay in front of in one on one play.”
- Dyson Daniels, who went No. 9 to the Pelicans in our latest mock draft, has met with the Cavaliers in addition to several other teams during the draft combine. The Knicks, Kings, and Hawks have also met with the G League Ignite product, per Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic.
- Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com expects the Cavaliers to target wings and play-makers this offseason and lists several names that could be options for the Cavs at No. 14. Ohio State’s Malaki Branham, LSU’s Tari Eason, and Baylor’s Jeremy Sochan were mentioned by Fedor in addition to Daniels.
- The Rockets landed the No. 3 overall pick in this year’s lottery and GM Rafael Stone indicated that the club could be open to trading the selection. “If there’s something that makes sense for both teams, it’ll get done,” the exec explained. Houston is in an interesting spot given there are widely considered to be a clear top-3 in this year’s draft.
- ICYMI: We examined Eason as a candidate for the Hawks at No. 16 in addition to passing along other NBA Draft notes.