Darius Garland was named a finalist for the Most Improved Player award after his suburb 2021-22 season. The first-time All-Star appeared in 68 games, scoring career-highs in points (21.7) and assists (8.6) while besting his previous marks in field goal percentage (46.2%) and PER (19.0).
In this year’s edition of 48 bold predictions, we predicted that Garland would win the award after taking the leap alongside Ricky Rubio. Rubio’s injury left Garland to do much of the heavy lifting in the backcourt by himself and the former No. 5 overall pick nearly led the club to its first postseason appearance in the post-LeBron James era.
Ja Morant and Dejounte Murray are the other finalists for the award.
More From Cleveland
- Kevin Love and Evan Mobley also received recognition for their efforts this year, with Love being named a finalist for the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year award and Mobley being named a finalist for the NBA’s Rookie of the Year award. Love is competing with Tyler Herro and Cameron Johnson while Mobley is competing with Scottie Barnes and Cade Cunningham.
- Caris LeVert and Collin Sexton both want to return to the Cavaliers next season, Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com writes. Either guy could thrive in the sixth man role next season in Cleveland, though the health of Sexton makes it possible that LeVert could be given priority in that spot, assuming both players are re-signed.
Watch the NBA Playoffs on fuboTV
- Get your free trial to fuboTV where you can watch live sports, movies and so much more!
Special Betting Offer From PointsBet
- Offer: Two risk-free bets up to $2,000
- States: New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Iowa
- Promo code: MVPBET (T&C Apply)