FortyEightMinutes.com is providing aspiring sports writers and reporters with an opportunity to enhance their writing skills, expand their network, and learn best practices of covering the NBA.
The NBA Correspondent Program is a hands-on program that not only takes an active interest in writer development and professional development but also prepares you to cover NBA games.
Covering a team in the NBA is about more than just writing skills; it’s about understanding a market, connecting with readers, and fostering relationships. Once accepted into the program, each writer will be assigned an NBA team and work collaboratively with the site editors to come up with compelling topics and content to write about through the 2020-21 season. Other highlights of the program include:
- Monthly conference calls with a rotating cast of credentialed media members where participants can hear unique stories about covering the NBA, ask questions, and gain invaluable insight that will prepare them to cover games, practices, and events in the future.
- Assistance in applying for NBA media credentials.
- WordPress, Twitter, and Tweetdeck training.
- Introductory training on the NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Increased social media and personal brand exposure.
This part-time program will only last for months, but the benefits will carry on beyond the 2020-21 season. Once you’ve completed the program, your name and portfolio will be featured on FortyEightMinutes.com. Some may even be able to remain on at FortyEightMinutes.com after the program.
- Current resume and writing samples.
- A few paragraphs to explain why you qualify and stand out.
- A description of your availability going forward.
- State of residence/nearest NBA team.
Application deadline: Thursday, December 17. 5:00 pm CT.
Note: We receive a lot of requests and are not able to reply to everyone. If you do not receive a reply within five days it means that we are not moving forward with your application.